- To implement the National Food Act,
- To regulate the manufacture, sale, import and export of food for commercial purposes,
- To guarantee food safety and fitness for human consumption,
- To promote fair trade practices in food and,
- To provide for related matters.
- Improved access to appropriate technologies to enhance food safety,
- Sustainable growth in commercial food production and processing,
- Increased access to adequate and safe food supplies,
- Improved food market access
- More effective, efficient and affordable food advisory services
- Effective Food Standard Policy
The new Food Division will focus on the following core functions;
- Implement the Food Act to guarantee food safety and fitness for human consumption
- Employ Food Risk Management Program to ensure all food produced and distributed/sold in the Kingdom meets the prescribed standards of food safety and food quality.
- Promote consumer education on food safety and nutrition.
- Provide food research and development on food matters to facilitate the development of the food industry in Tonga.
Upgrading of Food Division facilities:
The program goal is to upgrade the FD facilities to meet Division’s needs in order to achieve the new Food Division’s outputs and outcome.